Basic Panettone (Cozonac) - The Classic Recipe and the Modern Bread maker Machine Recipe
This is a traditional romanian recipe for basic panettone (sweet bread) like mom used to make. In romanian panettone is called cozonac, and it is a traditional dessert for the Christmas Holidays. Romanian panettone is traditionally filled with a walnut based filling, but can also be enjoyed simple or with raisins. dried fruit, chocolate chips, or jelly candies. The sweet cheese filled romanian panettone (pasca) is traditional for the Easter Holiday. This dessert is absolutely delicious but requires a bit of work to make the dough. However, if you do own a bread maker machine, things become incredibly simple. We give here the traditional recipe for the basic romanian panettone (cozonac), followed by the more modern and simple bread maker machine recipe. Enjoy!
Basic Panettone Recipe (Cozonac) - Traditional Recipe
Preparation time: 3 hours
Makes: 2 -3 loaves
- 2.2 pounds = 33.5 ounces (1 kg ) bread flour
- 6 eggs
- 10.6 oz (300 g) sugar
- 8.8 oz (250 g) butter
- 2 cups (1/2 l ) milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3.5 (100 g ) raisins
- grated lemon peel
- rum extract
- vanilla extract
You can also use fresh yeast instead of dry yeast for this recipe. If this is the case, add the following ingredients:
2.8 oz (80 g) fresh yeast
2-3 teaspoons bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup of milk
- For best results, all the ingredients must be kept at the room temperature at least 3 hours before preparing the panettone.
- Beat 3 eggs + 3 yolks with sugar, salt. Add grated lemon peel, rum extract and vanilla extract. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- If you use fresh yeast, mix the yeast with 2 tablespoon sugar. Melt it in a 1/2 cup milk and mix everything with 2-3 teaspoons flour. Let it rise. Mix the flour kept at the room temperature with the raised yeast. Alternatively, if you use dry yeast, just mix it with the flour.
- Pour luke-warm milk into the eggs' composition and then pour the resulting mixture over the flour mixed with the yeast.
- Add slowly the melted butter and knead the dough until it can easily separate from the hands. Add the raisins and knead some more.
- Cover and let it rest in a warm place until the size of the dough doubles.
- Put a piece of dough in a baking form (fill the form only at the bottom - leave plenty of space for the dough to rise). Cover and let it rest and rise in a warm place, until the dough reaches the top edge.
- Brush the dough with beaten egg mixed with two teaspoons water.
- Preheat the oven and bake it on the medium heat (350F) for 50-60 minutes.
- Let it cool about half an hour before flipping the loaves on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Basic Panettone Recipe (Cozonac) - A Bread maker machine recipe
These instructions are for a generic bread maker machine that has the option to select a bake with raisins cycle. The instructions were tested for my Panasonic bread maker machine, which is an old machine that I have successfully used for the past 10 years for making bread and lately for making panettone.
- Make sure that you verify the machine's capacity, and adjust the quantities accordingly. For my machine I make half portions for the panettone recipe. The way to verify is to match the quantity of flour in our recipe with the quantity of flour usually recommended in the bread recipes that come with the machine. The machines usually accept multiple sizes, mine has the Medium, Large and Extra Large options. For example, if the Large option corresponds to about 1 pound of flour in their recommended bread recipe, then use the half portion for the panettone recipe and set your machine for the Large option.
- Add all the ingredients, except the raisins and the dry yeast into the bread machine.
- The dry yeast should be added into the yeast dispenser.
- Select the "bake with raisins" option.
- Start the machine.
- When the machine beeps, add the raisins (or chooped walnuts or chocolate chips).
- The machine will do all the work for you, including the baking. When the panettone is done, remove from the bread maker machine, and let it cool. Sprinkle on top with confectioners' sugar. Enjoy!