Walnut Panettone Recipe (Cozonac) - A Bread maker machine recipe
This recipe is for the Romanian walnut filled panettone (cozonac cu nuca). This recipe uses a bread maker machine to make the dough (which is usually the most difficult part for the cozonac recipe) and then the dough is filled and cooked in the oven.
If you are interested in a recipe that uses only the breadmaker machine to make the panettone (cozonac) - from ingredients to the delicious smelling warm cozonac (panettone) - then try our recipe for simple panettone (cozonac), with possibly added raisins, dried fruits, chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, or fruit jelly candies.
Cozonac cu nuca (walnut panettone) - A bread maker machine recipe
Preparation time: about 3.5 hours
Makes: 2 small loaves (cozonaci)
- 21 ounces bread flour
- 3 eggs
- 5.3 oz (150 g) sugar
- 4.4 oz (125 g) butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- grated lemon peel
- rum extract (optional)
- vanilla extract
Note: if you like more walnut filling, you should probably use 1.5x portions for the filling quantities.
- 10.6 oz (300 g) grounded walnuts
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 chopped chocolate bar (optional)
These instructions are for a generic bread maker machine that has the option to make dough. The instructions were tested for my Panasonic bread maker machine (Sd Yd250).
- Prepare the walnut filling as a first step before proceeding to prepare the dough, so you can have it ready for when the dough is ready: Beat 2 white eggs until they become a stiff foam. Mix grounded walnut with the foam and the other filling ingredients. Add the hot milk for a more creamy texture.
- Prepare dough:
- Make sure that you verify the machine's capacity, and adjust the quantities accordingly. The way to verify is to match the quantity of flour in our recipe with the quantity of flour usually recommended in the bread recipes that come with the machine. The machines usually accept multiple sizes, mine has the Medium, Large and Extra Large options. For example, the Large option for my machine corresponds to about 1 pound of flour in their recommended bread recipe, so the above quantities will be adequate.
- Add all the ingredients, except the dry yeast into the bread machine.
- The dry yeast should be added into the yeast dispenser.
- Select the "dough" option.
- Start the machine.
- When the machine beeps, your dough is ready. Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Put each part on a floured wooden plate and roll with a pin until you obtain a thick sheet ( about 0.5 inches ). Sprinkle with melted butter, spreading the butter evenly.
- Spread each sheet evenly with the walnut cream. Roll the sheet.
- Grease a baking pan with butter and sprinkle it with flour.
- Put the rolled sheet in a baking form. Let it rise at warm to the top edge of the baking form.
- Beat an egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush the top with the egg.
- Preheat the oven and bake it on medium heat (375 F) for 50-60 minutes.
- Let it cool for about half an hour on a wooden tray before flipping the panettone on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.