Lamb stew (Stufat de miel) - A classic Romanian food dish
A classic Romanian food dish, the lamb stew, called "stufat de miel" in Romanian is a traditional recipe for Romanian lamb lovers. It is easy to make and a true candidate for a gourmet dinner. I hope you will enjoy it too. The original recipe requires green garlic, which is rather difficult to find in American groceries. If you do not have green garlic, you could replace it with regular garlic, although some of the "fresh taste" will be lost. The lamb stew recipe is meant to be a Romanian food celebration of spring when all new herbs are coming to life. You could also seed your own garlic cloves and wait for the green garlic to grow.
Not the recipe you are looking for? For other delicious lamb dishes, browse our collection of lamb recipes.
Lamb stew - (Stufat de miel) recipe
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes (preparation: 10 minutes; cooking: 20-30 minutes)
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 pounds lamb ribs
- 4 fresh scallion bunches
- 2 fresh green garlic bunches
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt for seasoning
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash and chop the onions and the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a big pot and saute together the meat with the onion and garlic.
- Add water and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and simmer a couple more minutes.
- Season with salt and (optionally - if you like more spicy foods) with ground black pepper.